multiple instances of MQ on 1 PC for hydra / boxing

A forum for the general posts relating to MacroQuest. *DEPRECATED: This forum is no longer in public use, but remains here for your reading pleasure. Enjoy

Moderator: MacroQuest Developers

User avatar
Undies
a ghoul
a ghoul
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:12 pm

multiple instances of MQ on 1 PC for hydra / boxing

Post by Undies » Fri Oct 24, 2003 2:38 am

I get the impression this can be done but how? I have already tried a forum search to no avail...

The second EQ account does not have access to MQ. Do I need to:

1) Start MQ1
2) Start EQ1

then

3) Start MQ2
4) Start EQ2

I also notice that Puttie Telnet will only communicate with 1 MQ.

If I install a completely separate MQ (with different .ini file to use different telnet port) could I then use a second telnet to a second EQ account on the 1 machine?

Hmm maybe I should try it and answer my own question!

Any suggestions appreciated...

RogerWilco
a ghoul
a ghoul
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:05 am

Post by RogerWilco » Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:03 am

I have only 1 instance of MQ and it loads on startup...

and I run 2 EQWs from the 1 MQ...

what you do load 1 EQ then the other... (of course you have 2 different folders for EQ.. if you try to load 2 EQs out of the same folder your computer will cry for help and crawl at the pace slower then that of a snail - atleast my 2gig did)

User avatar
Undies
a ghoul
a ghoul
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:12 pm

Post by Undies » Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:21 am

OK my mistake...

Yes it works. I was too paranoid to have /filter macros all on (had set to none) so no MQ stuff was coming though.

Unfortunately 2 different instances of MQ will run on 1 PC so the different telnet port idea did not work. Oh well.

motd2k
a ghoul
a ghoul
Posts: 141
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2002 9:46 am

Post by motd2k » Fri Oct 24, 2003 6:44 am

You can use PuTTY just fine to communicate to multiple instances of eqgame.exe..... just increment the port number by one for each additional session.

I.E. 1st eqgame=4569
2nd eqgame=4570



MOTD

User avatar
Undies
a ghoul
a ghoul
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:12 pm

Post by Undies » Fri Oct 24, 2003 6:49 am

putty is not the problem?

Isn't the problem that MQ looks at its ini file and only sees one port number or has this been changed to look for sequential ports?

Lax
We're not worthy!
We're not worthy!
Posts: 3524
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2002 1:01 pm
Location: ISBoxer
Contact:

Post by Lax » Fri Oct 24, 2003 10:04 am

I regularly run two, from the same directory, and it runs fine. The trick is actually to have 1GB of memory. With 512, one EQ session takes up all but a small amount of that physical memory (even with models turned off, etc), and the second session is swapping to disk. So it really has nothing to do with the speed of your CPU, just the speed of your hard drive. If you have a 5400 RPM hard drive, it's going to crawl horribly even with a 3GHz processor.. let alone 7200 RPM. With 1GB of memory, you are left with a good amount of physical memory with 2 sessions, and it runs fine from the same directory.

But to the point at hand.. I've got gripes about MQ's telnet server and the single port issue mentioned here is one of them (and using putty you should connect with raw socket). I don't use the telnet server at all actually. What do you need the telnet server for?
Lax Lacks
Master of MQ2 Disaster
Purveyor of premium, EULA-safe MMORPG Multiboxing Software
* Multiboxing with ISBoxer: Quick Start Video
* EQPlayNice, WinEQ 2.0